Log lathe LL-41
Description of Woodlandia log lathe LL-41
Woodlandia log lathe LL-41 is "four in one tool" for thr production of cylindrically shaped logs used in log home manufacturing. These milled logs (a.k.a giant dowels) are the main component of log home or log cabin shell. The lathe is able to perform four essential operations on the log: turning, C-groove (Swedish cope), notching, kerfing.
The LL-41 log turning mill can accommodate raw logs with diameters up to 19½ inches (500mm). In standard configuration this log rounding machine produces cylindrical log with diameter from 6 to 18 inches (160 - 460 mm).
Also the lathe can mill round notch and Swedish cope for diameters
from 6¼ to 12½ inches (160 - 320 mm).
LL-41 machine is delivered as a LOG LATHE KIT. Assembling is required at owner's site (assembling manual is provided).
LL-41 in conjunction with the RoundMaster are intended for small or medium size businesses where automation is not required. Such business can produce log works for about 15-20 $/sq foot (160-200 $/m²) or less if manufacturing is well organized. Labor cost is 50-70% of total cost therefore in areas or countries where labor is cheaper than $30/h, final price will be proportionally less than $15/sq foot...
To review solutions based on LL-41 click here.
About productivity of LL-41
Lathe output depends on skills of the operator and the production process. In average 10 peices of 20ft (6m) long logs with diameter 12" (300mm), Swedish cope groove, kerfing saw-cut and 2 round notches, can be manufactured per 8-hours work shift by 1 operator and 1 helper. An average of 3-5 days would be required to process logs for a basic 16x16 feet log cabin shell.
Proper logistic and infrasructure will increase productivity of LL-41. Woodlandia recommends using automative wood waste conveyor (under the lathe) and power equipment such us forklift or overhead crain in order to handle heavy long logs. Some our clients report that they can produce up to 20 logs per workshift. For better productivity, please consider:
- Using dedicated notching machine NM-1 or NM-5. In this case time-consuming notching operations can be made in parallel by other persone while LL-41 mills round logs with Swedish cope. Such concept is calld LL-41B (bundle) and is descibed in this chapter (please click here to review).
- Using Woodlandia RLM log molder and dedicated notching machine. Cost of RLM machines vary from 80 to 160 thousand dollars depending on the model, however the productivity of RLM log moulder is 10-20 times higher than productivity of LL-41. Woodlandia RLM log moulders can produce house logs of different profiles each 1-3 minutes. To review information about Woodlandia log moulders for log home builders click here.
The LL-41 consists of a modular frame, head stock, tail stocks and moving carriage. The L-41 is intended for heavy duty work.
Tail stock is movable along the frame to accommodate the length of the log to be processed. The stock has a pike where the log top or butt is fixed to. Tail stock pike is motorized allowing the extension of the pike up to 1 ft (30cm)
The head stock has another pike which is fixed to the frame. This
pike (axle) is driven (via gear box) by an electric motor that provides
the turning of a log. The moving carriage of LL-41 travels forward and
back along the base frame driven by an electrical motor and chain gear.
The moving carriage has 2 mills: vertical and horizontal.
Horizontal mill is intended for:
- removing of thick layer of wood
- milling of lateral groove (Swedish Cope)
Vertical mill is intended for:
- finishing of a log surface
- milling of round notches
- flattaning (planing) the surface
The log lathe is controlled manually by the operator via buttons on the control panel.
Click here to overview pictures & videos of LL-41
LL-41 Setup & Installation
The log lathe can be operated inside as well as outside under a shed or awning. For proper operation the machine requires a solid base where the lathe’s frame can be bolted or welded to. The frame should be properly leveled and aligned in order to avoid shape deformations during the turning. All components of the lathe are heavy therefore forklift or small size crane should be used for moving and handling of components of the machine during setup.
Click on a picture to enlarge it...
here to overview other pictures of different LL-41
Woodlandia ships two variants of the log lathe:
- LL-41K with all motors powered by 3 phases, 480V, 60Hz electricity
- LL-41KE with motors for 3 phases, 380V, 50Hz
Optionally the lathe can be supplied with proper diesel generator to satisfy customers in remote areas or where 3 phase electricity is not available.
A minimum 25KW generator is required to power the LL-41. However we suggest you look at 30KW-40KW generator because bigger generator can consume less diesel fuel to generate enough power for LL-41 (this statement should be evaluated by yourself by looking into particular generator's fuel consumption data). For example 35KW generator we have in our demo place consumes:
L / hr
- local manufacturer
- local liquidation auction
Woodlandia can recommend two Ontario (Canada) based generator manufacturers, please contact us for details..
Technical specification for log lathe LL-41
Environment: from -10 to +40 degrees Celsius.
- LL-41K: 3 phases, 470V, 60Hz
- LL-41KE: 30A, 3 phases, 380V, 50Hz
Row material and product
- Min log length: 18 inches (380mm)
Specification can be changed without notification to improve capabilities
- Max log length: 26½ feet (8100 mm)
- Output dowel (cylindrical log): 6-18" (150 - 460 mm)
Logs for log constructions (logs with Swedich Cope):
|in/max||diameter, inches||diameter, mm||note|
|Min input log diameter:||7||180||recommended minimum input diameter of a stem top|
|Max input log diameter:||19||500||recommended maximum input diameter of a stem butt; no more than specified number, including remainings of branches|
|Min output log diameter:||6||150||it is possible to turn log with less diameter however extra care during the work should be taken|
|Max output log diameter:||12½
(round dowel up to 18")
(round dowel up to 460)
|it is possible to make just cylindrical logs with diameter up to 18 inches (460mm)|
Please download & review following document describing tooling (cutter heads and knives) for the LL-41.
Output depends on skills of operator, quality of raw materials,
infrastructure and how well the production process is organized.
Required personal: for optimal productivity 1 operator and 1 assistant are recommended.
Average output is 150-300 linear feet of logs per 8h work shift.
The efficiency can be increased by using RoundMaster optimization complex.
Horizontal carriage speed
0 to 13
0 to 4
Vertical carriage speed
0 to 13
0 to 4
Tail stock pike extending speed
|component||frequency, rotations/min||power rating||note|
|Rough (cope) cutter||3520||19A, 11KW (14.74 HP)|
|Fine (notch) cutter||3480||5.8A, 3KW (4.02 HP)|
|Kerfing saw||3480||2A, 1.1KW (1.48 HP)|
|Carriage (moving)||1650||0.7A, 0.25KW (0.34 HP)||rotation frequency can be adjusted via control panel|
|carriage (lifting fine cutter)||1625||0.66A, 0.18KW (0.24 HP)||rotation frequency can be adjusted via control panel|
|Head stock (log rotation)||1480||5.8A, 3KW (4.02 HP)||resulting rotation frequency can be adjusted gradually, manually changing, 32, 42 or 50 rotations per minute|
|Tail stock motor||1650||0.7A, 0.25KW (0.34 HP)||extending/decreasingrotation log holding pike|
Details regarding pricing, buying conditions and terms, warranty and delivery
- Woodlandia accepts payments in USD & Canadian dollars (CAD) only.
- Please inquire about exact cost in CAD since Canadian dollar is subject to change due to fluctuations of USD/CAD exchange rate. Price in Canadian Dollars will be determined basing on buying USD rate defined by
- To Eastern Canada & USA we ship from Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- To Western USA and Canada we can ship as from China as well as from Toronto (depending on customer's choice)
- To Europe, Australia, New Zealand and South America we ship from our manufacturing facility in China;
- Please allow from 10 to 60 days for delivery (depending on inventory and Carrier schedule).
- 100% advanced payment is required
- Shipping, packaging and handling is extra (pickup is available)
- Installation and setup on customer side are optional and cost $1500 + travel expenses.
- LL-41K is provided with 1 year limited warranty
- Since machine has many rotating parts and requires high voltage power, the usage of the machine can be dangerous and hazardous if operating or assembling without proper knowledge, consciousness and awareness. Therefore we require each client to sign release of liabilities form to eliminate possible legal issues due to owner's improper installation or usage.
- ULC/CSA/CE certification is optional
- Leasing is available for 2, 3, 4 and 5 years terms. Please use numbers below only as a "Guideline". Each lease quotation will vary based on several factors, including the credit status of the applicant. For leasing info please click here
Please click on icons below to retrieve more information about the lathe OR you can use "Next" and "Previous" buttons below to go from article to article in this folder.
Click on the icon to get to page with pictures and video clips of the LL-41...
Click on the icon to get ot page where you can read about how to operate the machine...
Click on the icon to get ot page where Frequently Asked Questions regarding the log lathe, are listed...